Adam Cohen's main research interests fuse cultural, social, and personality psychology. He is interested in how religious differences function as cultural differences, affecting domains including religious identity and motivation, well-being, moral judgment, forgiveness, and the like. Professor Cohen is also interested in applying evolutionary theory to religion.
- Cohen, A. B. (2013). Culture reexamined: Broadening our understanding of social and evolutionary influences. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Cherfas, L., Rozin, P., Cohen, A., Davidson, A., & McCauley, C. (2006). The framing of atrocities: Documenting and exploring wide variation in aversion to Germans and German-related activities among Holocaust survivors. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology.
- Cohen, A., Malka, A., Rozin, P., & Cherfas, L. (2006). Religion and unforgivable offenses. Journal of Personality.
- Cohen, A., Hall, D. E., Koenig, H. G., & Meador, K. G. (2005). Social versus individual motivation: Implications for normative definitions of religious orientation. Personality & Social Psychology Review.
- Cohen, A., Pierce, J. D., Jr., Meade, R., Chambers, J., Gorvine, B. J., & Koenig, H. G. (2005). Intrinsic and extrinsic religiosity, belief in the afterlife, death anxiety, and life satisfaction in young Catholic and Protestant adults. Journal of Research in Personality.
- Cohen, A., & Rankin, A. (2004). Religion and the morality of positive mentality. Basic and Applied Social Psychology.
- Cohen, A., Rozin, P., & Keltner, D. (2004). Different religions, different emotions. Behavioral & Brain Sciences.
- Cohen, A. (2003). Religion, likelihood of action, and the morality of mentality. International Journal for the Psychology of Religion.
- Cohen, A., Siegel, J. I., & Rozin, P. (2003). Faith versus practice: Different bases for religiosity judgments by Jews and Protestants. European Journal of Social Psychology.
- Abramowitz, J., Huppert, J., Cohen, A., Cahill, S. P., & Tolin, D. F. (2002). Religious obsessions and compulsions in a non-clinical sample: The Penn Inventory of Scrupulosity. Behavior Research and Therapy.
- Cohen, A., & Rozin, P. (2001). Religion and the morality of mentality. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology.
- First-Year Seminar
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Adam B. Cohen
Department of Psychology
P.O. Box 861104
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-1104
- Phone: (490) 965-7345